RE: TR4 Vs. 4-A clutch line difference?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Vs. 4-A clutch line difference?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:09:48 -0700
Carl :

I'm curious, why would you want to be able to stomp the clutch pedal faster
?
Looking to shave that extra microsecond off your quarter mile time ??

In general the old 3-finger pressure plate is a lot more sturdy than the
diaphragm, it will probably stand any extra force your left leg can muster
with aplomb.  It's main disadvantage is that it's heavy, switching to the
later, lighter clutch really will shave a few hundredths off your time.
That extra weight takes power to accelerate, not once but 5 times (once to
the end of the track, and once for each gear).

Personally, I believe the fat plastic line instead of the small steel one is
part of the reason later cars have so much clutch trouble, while the earlier
ones are relatively trouble free.  Of course, YMMV.

Randall