TR-4A: The car won't start

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-4A: The car won't start
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:22:00 -0700
      My 1966 TR-4A won't start.  The car is in the midst of a rolling
restoration and doesn't get much use.  (a couple of hundred miles in four
years.)  Last month I started using it regularly and it developed a miss
which got steadily worse.  The miss didn't happen in constant speed freeway
driving, but became more and more evident on trips with a lot of starting
and stopping - even with the engine fully warmed up. I'd come off the
freeway and when I started up the hill toward home, it would cough and
sputter furiously.  Now it won't start at all.
     I've checked the plugs, distributor cap and rotor, all of which are
clean, but the points were filthy with what looked like dirty engine
oil.  One spark plug wire seemed loose.  There is nothing noticeably wrong
with the fuel system.  I tightened the spark plug wire and cleaned the
points, but it still won't start.
     Any suggestions on how to approach this problem?
Thanks.
     John Cowan