spark, no spark, fuel, no fuel, ac pump (TR3A)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: spark, no spark, fuel, no fuel, ac pump (TR3A)
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:15:38 EDT
The last week and a half I've trouble shot a fuel-spark problem on the 3. As
some of you replied to my questions here's the update, and thanks. I spoke
with Crane, Moss and TRF tech support people, and determined that the Allison
was shot. The vehicle now has been successfully converted back to points, the
old Allison electronic ignition is out, and I intend to crack open the
housing to see what may have fried (Randall, I'll get back with you on this).
The white coil lead existed up in the wiring harness on the left, the PO had
simply cut the lead back, halfway down. In a nutshell, converting back to
points took care of the spark issue. Still have to fiddle a bit for the
timing, though seems to be fine standing in place.
As for the fuel, I worked from the carburetors back, replacing or assuring
the flow. In the short line from the tank to the first union, bits (lots of
bits) of the tank vent gasket had found a place to rest. This was also
evident in the sediment bowl (one small piece). So I removed the tank and
sent it out to the radiator guy for flushing, etc. Wire fed a 22 gauge steel
wire through the fuel lines and blew them out with air.
While waiting, I've rebuilt the AC pump that Sumner supplied, and rebuilt it
with the TRF kit. Thanks to Scott, Randall and Fred for advice. Now
installed, no problems, straight forward (so far). That back nut to secure
the housing to the block is a tight spot, the .25" drive socket wrench did
the trick though, and I believe this area was a source of oil leaking since
the nuts securing the aftermarket pump were not so tight. Getting to this nut
was a separate thread, and proved to be opportune, though at the time I
didn't expect to install the AC pump so soon.
Now just waiting for the fuel tap (which was missing) from TRF to complete
the reassembly.
Currently the 3 runs fine (on stands) with the fuel supplied from a 2.5 gal
container. Is amazing what a good spark and fuel supply will do for an
engine. It's just too bad this didn't happen when I had the car up for
maintenance in Jan. and Feb. But I am fairly sure this was also the cause of
the fuel line clog, since I was fiddling with the tank (sender unit, vent,
fill connections). At the time I didn't notice any of this gasket material
(orange rubber)  although I thought it strange that the vent was not sealed
under the banjo fitting. Ah, live and learn.

Question ... The pump I removed was an aftermarket unit "Made in Canada"
(vintage in itself). It appears to be a sturdy construction, though no
circlips on the pivot shaft and no primer lever. It was working fine and I
want to keep as a spare. For storage is there any recommendation for flushing
this of the gas remaining? I assume that the diaphragm could dry out it not
flushed.

Thanks for reading.

Best Regards,
Ed ('58 TR3A)