Re: starter click

To: "Rave Racer" <Ravewar@rogers.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: starter click
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:31:07 -0700
I know this is kinda basic, but the first thing I always suspect when I hear
that click is the battery.  If that checks out, the cables are next on the
list. Then I'd make sure that the starter gear isn't alredy jammed into the
flywheel, this should be easy to see since the trans mission is out.
(probably not the case if you've had the starter out already).

It's easy enough to short out the relay or solenoid.  Just bridge the 2
large terminals with a pliers or screw driver.  If the starter turns, the
solenoid is bad. (On my '3A there is a botton on the back of the solenoid
for this purpose, don't know how long they made them like that)

If this starter has been sitting for 15 years, I think I would replace the
brushes and clean up the armiture - it probably has a lot of dirt and stuff
on it by now.

Hope this helps-
Bob