overdrive

To: "INTERNET:Cromracker2@aol.com" <Cromracker2@aol.com>
Subject: overdrive
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:18:38 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Cromracker2@aol.com
>    Good morning to the list........ I think that it was Dave Massey who
said
something about converting a standard tranny to an OD unit. How complicated

and how costly a procedure is this? I assume that a unit from a donor car
would need to found first? BTW, when I had my 3000, it was a pos. ground.
Are
the TR's neg or pos ground? The PO said that the radio is not working in my

new toy; I guess I had beeter practice up on my whistling skills. It may be
LONG road back to Pa! Any of you folks in the South Central Pa. area? York
County even?          Jim
<

The hard part about converting a standard transmission to overdrive is
finding the overdrive unit.  The next hardest part is the fact that the
mainshaft for an overdrive transmission is different that te one on the
non-OD unit and changing it out involves a complete teardown (you could
leave the lay gears in but at this point you may as well do a complete
overhaul.  Then you have to have the top cover drilled and tapped for the
switches.

The real easy way is to find an overdrive transmission and swap.  Or one of
the Toyota 5 speed conversions.

TR's were positive ground up to the introduction of the alternator but it
is so easy to change polarities that many dynamo equipped cars are now
negative ground.  Your radio may not be working for many reasons.  What
model car do you have?

Dave