Re: SU Tuning Question:/ Blower HELP.

To: ms6453@optonline.net
Subject: Re: SU Tuning Question:/ Blower HELP.
From: Joseph J Burlein <tr6guy@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:45:10 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mitch,

KN appears to be fine, using the 3inch round unit, don't see any
blockage.  The boost gauge shows boost only when really I step on the
loud pedal.  Just changed the plugs and wiring as part of normal
maintanence.  4 and 6 showed a bit of carbon, the rest where the that
nice "ash" color.  No hesitation under acceleration except when I first
start out after I let her warm up.  After that, just fine.  No bad
hunting at idle, just the usual up and down 100 or less RPM (could be the
gauge).  No stalling  The exhaust note could be on the rich side
(slightly uneven).  The needle is the one that Joe Curto sent along.  I
honestly never checked to see which one it is.  What are you running?

I just pulled the carb to tune it.  The back side of the piston (the one
facing the blower, not the air cleaner) had carbon all round it.  It
cleaned off easily enough with the slight gas left at the bottom of the
carb.  Is that normal?

Joe

On Sun, 07 Apr 2002 09:33:50 -0400 Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
writes:
> Joseph-The HD8 model you are using on your kit does not have any
> thermostatic switches or controls. The only enrichment control for
> cold
> starts are the choke control. If your have been running the UT
> needle
> shipped with the carb this may be a contributing problem. It is far
> rich.
> Are there any other symptoms? Poor idle or acceleration, hesitation,
> idle hunting, stalling. Have you checked the basics like timing or a
> clogged air filter? Have you pulled any plugs to read them. I had
> quite
> a time checking every thing else but the air cleaner. My K&N had
> been
> the culprit.
> The best thing I did was to install an air/fuel monitor. If the
> by-pass
> valve is bad you will have a noticeable vacuum leak & the boost
> gauge
> will show that you are under boost all the time. The spring & valve
> at
> the back of the plenum are similar to a waste gate in that is
> protects
> against overboost and a release for a backfire.
> The pages you spoke about in your Haynes book should be in chapter 6
> ,page 37 . This gives a clear understanding of basic tuning of the
> HD8.
> If your still having problems just holler.
>
> --
> Mitch Seff
> 75 TR6
> Oceanside, N.Y.

Joe Burlein
72 TR-6 (Supercharged!)
Wesley Chapel, NC

Real cars are designed to carry only two people, anything else is just a
bus.