Re: Buying a TR6 - or a Herald 1200 Convertible?

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Buying a TR6 - or a Herald 1200 Convertible?
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:13:26 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mike,

I gather you're in the UK. Heralds seem fairly abundant there. A recent
thread on triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com suggests there are a couple for
sale right now on Loot.com, no word as to specific model. There are
always ads in Triumph World Magazine, and I suspect other UK publications.

The stock 1147 engine in the 1200 is a trifle underpowered - 75mph is
not a problem on a flat, and higher speeds are achievable downhill, but
when you start working against gravity the power limits become apparent.
But there are easy modifications to improve this to Spitfire 1147 specs.
Which are beginning to tempt me after a family outing last October in
the hills of Rockland County, NY...

Or you could go for a Vitesse, essentially a Herald with a GT6 engine,
but not as pretty due to some strange styling decisions in the front.
Reminds me of a Herald wearing a fright mask :>

Buying issues: Rust is to be avoided. Check especially the rear chassis
outriggers where the radius arms attach, front floor pans, and the front
edge of the boot. And the spare tyre well while you have the boot mat
lifted. Best to go with the later (mid-'62, post GA80000) due to uprated
chassis, which I believe will accept a Spitfire engine as a transplant
without modification, for those so inclined.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald 1200 Convertible
Fair weather weekend driver