RE: [TR250] Dizzy

To: "David" <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [TR250] Dizzy
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:18:43 -0800
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David :

The issue is not that a full-mechanical dizzy is required, rather that the
Webers don't have the port for the vacuum advance/retard.  One of our local
club members had a Weber setup on his TR4 driver for awhile, he rigged up a
vacuum advance using manifold vacuum and a throttle-operated microswitch to
cut it off at idle.  He said it increased his gas mileage by 10-15%.  If you
don't want to do that, you can just leave the ports open on the stock dizzy.
Of course that doesn't mean the advance curve will be optimal, but the
optimum advance curve depends on so many other things (fuel, exhaust system,
camshaft, carb calibration, even what altitude you drive at) that it's
difficult to predict what is best for a modified motor.

Randall