Re: TR6 Gauge cleaning

To: rgreene@whoi.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Gauge cleaning
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:34:59 EST
In a message dated 4/2/2002 8:44:59 AM EST, rgreene@whoi.edu writes:

<< In fear of
 using a cleaning solution that might be too strong and wipe away the
 lettering. What have people used in the past with good results? >>

Bob,

I just finished cleaning and re-assembling my gauges in the TR6.  The face
numerals and black background are very susceptable to scratching and chipping
so you have to be very gentle and use the least abrasive "cleaner" and soft
cotton material (swabs are okay).

Where I needed to clean the faces, I used pieces of clean white cotton
flannel sheets and Lemon Pledge Spray.  This stuff also works well on the
white paint inside the gauge case.  Be careful removing the glass from the
bezels.....the glass on my speedo & tach gauges had a pretty firm grip on the
weatherstripping along the inside of the bezel.

If your black inner trim rings are in bad shape, you may want to consider
locating good rings from someone who has a few spare gauges and is willing to
swap with you.  I swapped out one or two badly pitted bezels, a glass lens
and a one or two black face plates on the smaller gauges to get enough
mix-n-match to now have nearly perfect looking gauges.

After you've re-assembled the smaller gauges (except the oil gauge), be sure
to clean the electrical connectors with some fine emery cloth to get the 30+
years of oxidation off of them!

Good luck,

Chip

Chip Krout

1976 TR6 #CF57822U - one of the last 500 built - restoration nearing
completion
1970 Spitfire Mk3 #FDU78512L - on the road and ready for another driving
season!