Re: mig welders

To: Todd Richmond <twr@fc.hp.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mig welders
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 10:42:46 -0600
The "shoptalk" mailing list would be the best place to ask, but:

Lincoln and Miller are the two big name brands. I've got a Lincoln welder
and a Miller plasma cutter. They're both of good quality and they use
standard consumables (wire spools, tips, liners, etc). I think the less
expensive "Hobart"  brand is owned by Miller.  I've heard HTP makes quality
welders and Century makes cheap ones but I've never used either.  You'll
pay more for a 220V welder than a 110V unit. 220V will let you weld thicker
materials but it obviously isn't as portable. You'll pay more for a unit
with continuously variable power output. My Lincoln 155 has 5 discrete
power settings and works fine for me; I think the Lincoln 175 is
continuously variable. Welding with shielding gas gives MUCH better results
than using flux-core wire. You can't weld stainless steel or aluminum
without an appropriate shielding gas. If you think you'll want to weld
aluminum and you don't want a TIG welder then you'll need a spool gun and
at least 150 amps to get acceptable results.

What are you planning to use the welder for?

--
Erik Quackenbush, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566  http://www.midwestfilter.com