Re: IRS hubs

To: "Darrell Walker" <darrellw@inetarena.com>, "tr list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: IRS hubs
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 07:51:42 -0600
From: "Darrell Walker" <darrellw@inetarena.com>
To: "tr list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 9:31 PM
Subject: IRS hubs

> What is the method to inspect these?  I've had my 66 TR4A
> for 21 years, and they haven't been rebuilt in all that time,

The don't seem loose, and seem to turn
> smoothly by hand, but I do hear a "ticking" sound when driving
> slowly near a hard wall or curb.

Darrell-
    The "ticking" you hear is a time bomb. My 6 had the same symptoms, drove
it a couple of summers with that sound. One day at the end of a summer
evening drive the right rear started making dreadful sounds. Fortunately I
was only 2/10 of a mile from my garage. Pulled into the garage and (like a
dummy) put my hand on the rim, ouch! Second degree burn on the fingers.
    Check your rims (carefully) after a drive for heat. If one is hotter
than the other, that hub will have more bearing wear. It typically is the
right rear hub that fails first due to torque from the differential. I would
say that yours are due for a rebuild from your description anyway.
Good luck-
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6
80 TR7 Spider