Re: TR liner/piston worry

To: "jgillis" <jgillis@tcd.ie>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR liner/piston worry
From: "Don Marshall" <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:49:43 -0500 version=2.01
John Gillis wrote:

> While reading Roger Williams new book on the TR4 I noted a comment
> he made about four ring pistons: " you should treat with suspicion any
> 83mm pistons you are offered at an autojumble, for example, since they
> are likely to be ex-MOD Standard Vanguard equipment. In particular, watch
> out for and avoid any 4-ring pistons, as these will almost certainly be
> Vanguard low-technology gear....".

I can't really help with what's "correct", but I have a set of NOS AE 83mm
pistons that have three rings at the top and a fourth near the bottom of the
skirt.  The box says only "Suitable for Triumph original bore 3.2677"/83 mm,
+.30"/.762mm" and a Reference # 12655, as well as "Made in the United
Kingdom".  According to the receipt in the box, they were bought back in
1982 from BAP/GEON autoparts store.  I know they were bought to rebuild a
TR3 engine so, at least in the early '80s, someone was selling 4 ring
pistons as replacements for TR3s.  If someone has access to an AE catalog,
they might be able to see what the Ref # 12655 is for.  There's also one
other number "BH48 0801" on the box that might help.  If anyone figures out
whether these are really suitable for a TR2 or 3, please let me know.
Regards, Don