Re: auto tranport co. / long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: auto tranport co. / long
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:42:37 EST
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
Since the topic has popped up, go to

http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001439

And read 5 pages, 207 posts about one persons epic struggle to get their
newly purchased 1940 Chrysler home.  You would be amazed at the stories the
shipping companies came up with for the delays. . . .

5 years ago I had a 1974 Porsche 914 shipped from CA to PA.  I asked the
shipping co about insurance, car damage and such.  They assured me the car
would be covered for any damage during transport.  When the car arrived at
the drop off point. . . . .

The targa roof was gone! top of the windshield frame bent, one top latch with
broken fiberglass sitting on the floor.

Front under bumper splash pan ripped off and then ( sharp metal corners and
all) thrown onto the passenger seat.

Engine mounting bracket bent and torn from it's mount, engine dragging on the
ground. ( It is a mid engine car)

Under body sheetmetal torn from improperly placed tie down straps, 3 corners.

Shoe print and dent on the rear trunk lid

RR fender opening pushed in ~ 2 inches.

Pictures were taken, lists made, car towed to my shop. I then found out:

The "shipping company" was just a broker, the ICC ( Interstate Commerce
Commission) number they were using really belonged to a company in Colorado
who never heard of the PA "broker"

The insurance didn't exist they told me to turn it in to my insurance
company.  Being I wasn't planning on driving the car till summer the car was
not insured by me.

I was then put in contact with the Tennessee company that was hired to ship
the car.  I was told to call another # and contact the woman that handles
insurance claims.  Problem was, this mystery woman was never in the office.
During my numerous calls I figured out the # was really another phone line in
the Tennessee shippers office and the insurance office/ woman never existed.
Finally after many calls the owner happened to pick up the phone, story told
and they agreed to a small payment ( ~ $ 400, total damage to the car was ~
$2,000)

Small claims suit filed against the PA broker for the balance, suit won by
me,  judgment filed against the "broker".  ( this is ~ 7 months after the car
was shipped).

The Broker didn't appeal the judgment in the allotted time _OR_ pay the
judgment.  Another trip to the lawyer to file a lien against the property
that still stands today.  So. . . When the property is sold, I'll get the
judgment.

Harold