Re: Now I realllllly hate emissions testing....

Subject: Re: Now I realllllly hate emissions testing....
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:03:28 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paul :
CA is somewhat similar, except that the fee is set by the test operator
and is typically $40-60 ($100 for my motorhome).  We also have a dollar
limit on how much you have to spend to make the car pass (amount varies
by age of car), but the law has recently changed so you can only use it
once.  If you flunk again in another 2 years, you have to either fix the
car, or scrap it !  (Legally, you can't sell it as a car, since it's the
seller's obligation to obtain a fresh smog ticket when the car is sold.
However, I'm sure many are sold out of state.)

The dollar limit was an attempt to avoid undue hardship on poor people.
But, it doesn't apply if you've removed or tampered with the smog
equipment.

As I try to tell everyone, the test operator has the option of doing a
'pre-test' where the results are not sent to the state's central
computer.  I always ask for this, and recommend it to others.  Of
course, the downside is that now the state can point to their wonderful
test results to show how many people don't have to pay to have their
smog repaired, but IMO they would find some other way to lie anyway.

Randall