carb rebuild? x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: carb rebuild? x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Dan Von Seggern <danvon@scripps.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:33:33 -0800
Hi all.

First, thanks to all who responded to my last questions about my '76
Spit (FM47560).  I now have a dimmer switch that looks right, and think
that i know what to do about the other stuff.

However (there IS always a 'however', no?)  I now am having what looks
like some carburettor trouble.  The plug in the bottom of the float
chamber was leaking (and i couldn't help noticing that it directs any
leaking fuel onto the catalytic converter, which has to be the hottest
part of the car).  This led me to pull the carb and have a look, and i
think that there are a number of things that are not kosher (wrong bolts
in some places/loose choke/i think that the damper oil is leaking out
around the needle).  Seems to me that just getting it rebuilt is the
right thing to do while it is out.

My impression is that that this a fairly delicate job, and better left
to someone who really knows what they are doing.  first, anyone disagree
with that?  i don't mind getting my hands dirty, but really don't
understand how this one works.  and second, where does one get it done?
Any recommendations in the San Diego area would be especially good (or
do you just get a rebuilt unit from one of the parts houses, like you
would with a starter or alternator?)

Thanks in advance.

Dan

-- Dan J. Von Seggern, Ph.D.