RE: Rear axle rebuild done - now steering column

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (List Triumph)
Subject: RE: Rear axle rebuild done - now steering column
From: pmmacy@att.net
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 14:23:39 +0000 .worldnet.att.net>
Any suggestions would be welcomed - should I go buy a
torch and hope that heat will help??

Dan and List:

  Just went through this while dis-mantling a parts
car.  I actually did break a 2 jaw puller in the
process, and the lips on my real pitman arm puller were
almost too thick to fit between the pitman arm and the
steering box, and almost too wide to catch the pitman
arm once I'd pounded it into the small gap.
  After a lengthy struggle to get the pitman arm puller
in place, with the lips just barely gragging the pitman
arm, I applied heat.  Still didn't budge.  The hammer
wes next, while warm, also with no success.
  The combination that finally worked for me was to use
an air chisel with a blunt tool to hammer on the warm
pitman arm while the puller applied pressure.  In the
face of all 3 it decided to give up and popped right off.

--
Mark Macy
New Carlisle, OH

57 TR3   TS17734L
59 TR3A  TS53427L  (Parts Car)
59 TR3A  TS62006LO (Project Car For-Sale)
60 TR3A  TS67852L  (Chassis Parts)