lurker coming into the open

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: lurker coming into the open
From: "jack williams" <jackandangie@home.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:06:02 -0500
I've been lurking on the list for about a week now just trying to absorb a
few things here and there. 20 years ago while in college I had a roomate
that had a beautiful TR6 that I loved to drive. Well, about a month ago my
Sister bought a miata. It's not a TR6 but it does have a pretty good sports
car feel, and it gave me the bug. I had forgotten about TR6's until I drove
her miata and thought, "Bryce's TR6 had a lot better throttle response than
this". So after a month of investigation and looking at what has seemed like
hundreds of cars (all rust buckets) I finally made a purchase. I bought a
1974 TR6 for $4200, it has no rust on the frame or floorboards and none I
could find elsewhere other than a bit of minor surface rust. The previous
owner bought it from a guy in Arizona so that must be why so clean. It runs
well but stutters a bit as it would due to dirty,  unsynchronized  carbs.
I'm new to British sports cars and I think I got a  good buy considering I
have seen some around here that were not in as good a shope sell for nearly
twice the price. Y'all (my Texas twang emerges) are the experts, what do you
think? I have a set of carb sticks and a gunson colortune that I use on my
many motorcycles, can I use them on this car? I assume so. This car also has
air conditioning, and I assume it uses R12. Can it be converted to the new
stuff? I did my truck but only when the compressor went out and had to have
a new one and a receiver so I flushed the whole thing and started with the
new refrigerant and it has worked fine for over two years now.

I am on a few motorcycle lists and have found them to be a wellspring of
information, I hope this list is as friendly and informative.

Jack