RE: tr6 electric fan conversion

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr6 electric fan conversion
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:08:23 +0930
> 2. What is a good way of eliminating the glowing of the
> light, if I wish to
> still retain the indicator function? Apparently (Randall
> mentioned this) the
> diode might reduce the voltage to the fan thus reducing its
> cooling power.
> If it is the diode, where do I place it in the wiring
> schematic? If not,
> what are some other suggestions? I wonder if the solution
> will appear in Dan
> Masters' book rev. 2?

All you need to do is wire the light bulb in parallel with the fan motor,
but with a diode in the light bulb circuit. That probably doesn't make a
whole lot of sense does it? Bad Ascii Art coming up (use a fixed pitch font
here)...

  positive feed ------------- motor --------------- ground
   from relay/         |                   |
     switch            |                   |
                       ---|>|--- light -----

So when the fan is switched on and the fan is spinning under the power
supplied through the switch (ie it's not being overrun by the air flow and
acting as a generator), current (in the conventional sense) flows from left
to right, and the diode allows current to flow through the light. If the fan
is acting as a generator (ie the switch is off), current flows in the
opposite direction and the diode doesn't allow current to flow through the
light bulb. In this configuration you need to have the diode connected as
shown (with the negative end towards ground) otherwise it'll have the
opposite effect (ie the light will come on when the fan is acting as a
generator, and not when it's being powered)...

Hope this helps,

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide