Mile High Meander (day seven)

To: SLTOA <triumphs@sltoa.org>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, TR8 List <TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Mile High Meander (day seven)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:06:53 -0400
Up at 6 for the panoramic photo shoot.  It takes an hour and a half to
arrange the cars but this is the first sighting of the second Gloria
Southern Cross and the Super Seven!  Man!  These things are coming out of
the woodwork.  I remember seeing my first 2000 Roadster and last year Ralph
brought out his nicely restored Truimph 10.  This year they are yawn
fodder.  Like TR2's.  How fast we get jaded!   None the less, there were a
bunch of nice cars out to get their photo taken with the mountains in the
background.

After the photo shoot it was back down the hill and the autocross.  The
autocross was a nice, tight, short course with times in the 40 - 50 second
range (of course, fastest time of day will be in the 30's - but not by me)
which is a good test of car and driver but not to much strain or time
consuming.  Once again, Bud Rolufson beat my best time by one second.  But
wait till next year!  And then Susan Hensley put both of us to shame
driving the Killer Spit.

The real contest was between Killer Spit (Mark Bradekis' car), Joe Curry's
race Spitfire (a well sorted out, purpose built race car, indeed) and John
Lye's perennial autocross TR4.  I remember when John had the field to
himself.  Sure there were wannabe's but the only question was who would be
driving when his car took FTD. But no more.  Mark and Joe have fielded very
competative cars and this tight course could give the advantage to the
smaller ones.  Autocross results will be announced on Saturday at the
awards banquet.

After the autocross it was time to spiff up the car for the show tomorrow.
Dinner was followed by a concert by the Platters!   Imagine that.  Such
high caliber entertainment from the Rocky Mountain Triumph Club.  (It
couldn't be coincedence that the Coasters just happened to be in
Breckenridge at the same time as the VTR, could it?  Nahh)

Then it was off to bed after an exhausting day.

Meandering in Brecenridge

Dave Massey
80 TR8