Re: suspension questions(kinda long)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: suspension questions(kinda long)
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:13:59 -0400
Questions have been asked:

> 1)  When I pull off the highway into a parking lot or someplace where there
> is a slight difference in surface height, I hear a funny sound, best
> described as a "squark!", and it occurs in both front and rear.  Any
> suggestions as to what this might be?

The height differential is causing a quantum-relativity effect and your TR
is communicating with the various elemental particles involved.  Or more
likely, it is a swaybar bushing or something similar.  Check that you don't
have broken shock mounts or something, but otherwise it probably isn't
serious.  At least, no more serious than this answer.

> 2)  Everything in the drive line is very smooth up to about 50-55 mph, then
> I get a shaking through the steering wheel.  This is like a vibration, but
> the swing of it is much wider.

N.R. replied that a warped or wheel out of balance will cause this, often at
55 mph.  True enough (though my experience has always been that the speed is
more like 65 mph).  Another likely cause is an aging tire.  Even if your
wheels have been balanced prefectly you may still have a tire that is out-of
-round or whose belt has slipped internally just a bit.  This will feel much
the same as an unbalanced wheel.

One partial fix is to try swapping tires front to rear.  The reasoning
behind this is that if it is on the front you are more likely to be bothered
by it because it will feed back into the steering wheel.

Just my two cents.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire (Percy)