A type O/D -- But Why?

To: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Subject: A type O/D -- But Why?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:48:53 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Westerdale, Bob"
>       A recent thread asked the question 'why did so few US delivered
>lbc's have Overdrive?'
>The consensus seemed to be that most USA drivers figured the Laycock unit
>would be as problematic as the early Ford and Chevy units, and therefore
>be avoided.
>       Lately, though, it seems like almost every OD equipped lbc has had
>at least one of these:
>
>               electrical/solenoid problems
>               mechanical binding/overheating
>               slippage
>               release problems
>               bronze slush in the oil
>               drips, from minor to a torrent
>               noises
>               etc...
<

Bob, Bob, Bob.  I think this is not just a bit overstated.  Of course you
only hear about the problematic ones.  You didn't list the transmissions
that have had similar problems.

As for myself, my A-type in the TR3 AND the J-type in the TR6 have been
problem free.  But it would be a waste of bandwidth to send a post about
what my cars are NOT doing wrong.

And even so, if we were a group to eschew mechanical issues we would all be
driving modern cars.

So, although they may not be 100% trouble free they are mostly trouble free
and what little trouble they may be is well worth it for the miles of
pleasure they give between.

>So then, I ask why nobody has tried one of the Toyota 5 speed conversions
>the guy from New Zealand is selling?

Well, let's see: There's price - the conversion ain't cheap.  The gear
boxes still command a fair chunk of change at the wrecking yard and the kit
is quite dear itself.  And for those of us who already have the O/D units
in functioning order it is really hard to justify yanking it out in favor
of a $2000 upgrade.

Besides, there are a few Toyota conversions out there.  A friend of mine
put one in his Austin Healey.  It is a slick installation - and there's the
novelty of it..  And it gives him longer legs in 5th.  But he was facing a
major rebuild of the old box so there you go.

But your dispareging comments about the originals is ill founded based on a
few, high profile instances.  The S-T box with the Lacock/DeNormanville
overdrive is a fine unit and in it's time was among the best to be had.

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (A-type - leaks less than the engine)
71 TR6 (J-type - the O/D doesn't leak, the input shaft does)
80 TR8 (Fine Rover 5-speed)