idle queries

To: herald1200@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: idle queries
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:07:28 EDT
On  Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:11:27 -0400
"Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Wrote Subject: Engine question...

Just for the sake of argument, and personal speculative interest, I am
putting
forth these little questions...

How hard would it be to put a TR engine into a Herald,

>>>Not very hard, if the correct one is fitted.

and what would be the recommended one?

>>>The engine from the GT6+ (1998cc short-stroke), or if you really want a
'TR' engine, then the TR6, although you would have to change the sump to fit
at the front of the Herald Chassis.

(obviously, I am not going to insult you, by mentioning the necessity to
upgrade the Suspension, Transmission, Brakes, Clutch mechanism and Cooling
System to suit).

IMHO, the best thing you could do -assuming you are thinking about turning
your Herald into a 'hotter' car is to find a complete GT6+ that has succumbed
to the dreaded rust bug, and take everything mechanical from it that you will
require...that is the most cost effective way certainly.
Then you can build yourself a 'Sports Six' clone.

Also, IMHO, at the risk of upsetting TR6 owners, the GT6+ engine is much more
tuneable, it revs more easily, has a lighter crankshaft and a much lighter
flywheel.
The best cylinder head is to be found on the later GT6-3.

The weak spot on the GT6 is the gearbox and you should consider fitting a
complete TR6 gearbox with overdrive, this is a pretty good fit in the
Herald/Vitesse model, just requiring the center cross-section of the chassis
to be cut down, and a steel plate welded across to replace the strength
removed, and to support the rear overdrive mounting.
(note that the TR6 overdrive box is a better fit than the TR6 non-overdrive
box). You will also need TR6 clutch mechanism and clutch disc to suit the
1.25" first motion shaft.

Another alternative is to fit the TR8 'Rover' V8 engine, but that's a whole
other story.

I have owned both Herald and Vitesses over several years and would point out
that although not overwhelmed with sheer power, the Herald 1200 is inherently
a better balanced car, and can be a great deal of fun to drive, whereas the
Vitesse/Sports Six is rather front heavy, with so much engine ahead of the
front axle line, but then again, that straight six up front makes such
fabulous noises with triple webers and a straight through exhaust fitted!

(little questions, huh?)

Also, what problems would be encountered, and would it bolt
up to the original tranny, or would replacement be in order?

You can fit the GT6 gearbox, but I really wouldn't bother, they really aren't
very strong, and if you do that, you'll only end up changing it eventually.

Just some idle queries at the moment...
Scott

And why not?

Regards

Lion F Guyot

(always happy to answer any specific questions directly)

'1963' Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
1988 Volkswagen 1600GT Scirroco Coupe (Driver)
Wimbledon, London, England.