New engine bafflement

To: "TR8 List \(E-mail\)" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "'triumphs@autox. team. net' \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New engine bafflement
From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 19:07:33 -0400 com>
The new engine is in the 8.  First start went fine.  Fired right up and ran
for 20 minutes.  Shut down and changed oil.  Good oil pressure.  Won't
restart.  Conventional wisdom says engine needs 3 things: Air, fuel, and
spark.  I have all three.  Tests show the fuel pressure exists, the cold
start injector spews fuel.  New plugs, dizzy cap and rotor AFTER it wouldn't
start.  Plug wires were new  before first start. Timing light flashes on all
the plug wires, Compression in random cylinders is fine.  Sprayed ether in
the AFM, nothing.  Not even a cough.  Fuel pump runs, injectors go
click-click.  After some cranking you can smell unburnt gas by sniffing the
exhaust pipe.  Air is being sucked in, gas is flowing, spark is sparking,
nothing is happening.  Checked crankshaft to dizzy and plug wires are in the
right holes (could be 180 out I guess but it WAS running).

Ideas?

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6 76-TR7 80-TR8  W4UCK