Re: gt6 paint job

To: larry stein <lstein@ehc.org>
Subject: Re: gt6 paint job
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:21:43 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
larry stein wrote:

> does anyone have experience with doing a body off restoration / paint
> job.
> i read somewhere that there are 12 bolts holding the body on the frame.
> that sounds simple but i bet it is much more complex.
> if anyone has experience and can share that with me i would appreciate
> it.
> i have questions like
> 1. does the interior and dash stay down on the floor pan ?
> 2. where and what electrical has to be disconnected ? (lights etc.)
> 3. how much does it weigh, can two people lift it up and off ?
> etc. etc.
> thanks !

There is more to it as you say.  In addition to the 12 bolts, you have to:

-Disconnect the battery
-Remove the dash support
-disconnect the cables and wires coming through the dash
-disconnect the fuel line from the tank
-disconnect the handbrake cable
-Remove the seatbelt tie-down bolts that go through the body to the frame.
-Disconnect any exhaust hangers that would tie the body to the frame.
-Disconnect the radius arms either from the frame of the vertical links
-If you have rotoflex, disconnect the rear shocks either top or bottom.

There is probably more that I have overlooked but they will become obvious if
the body does not come free!

You will find it easier to hoist the body off if you remove the hatch and doors
to lighten it up.
Regards,
Joe