Re: old antifreeze

To: rbtr3a@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: old antifreeze
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 20:08:31 EDT
In a message dated 8/3/01 2:08:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rbtr3a@home.com
writes:

<< 1).Is there a better brand of antifreeze to use in our cars.  Not asking
for
 personal preference of brands but more like compatibility.

Non Brit car specific:

For a cast iron engine I see no problem with any name brand antifreeze.  For
a aluminum headed engine, a low phosphate or low silicate formula might be
worth a look as VW speced this stuff in the late 80's early 90's.  I have put
regular name brand stuff in my customers and my cars for years with no
problems.   The key is to change it every 2 years or so.  The long life stuff
might not be worth the extra cost and I am unsure about the enviro friendly
"Sierra" brand AF.

>> 2) What mixture>>

60% AF to 40% water is just fine, this gives some mixture strength so you can
top off with water from time to time. Get much over 70% AF and cooling will
suffer as plain water is a better conductor of heat than AF.  AF has a
advantage of a higher boiling point than water.   If you live in a area with
high mineral content in the water, use distilled water if the car is a long
term keeper.  I tend to put in regular water around these parts. ( As a side
note, use distilled water in your battery, using high iron water will shorten
it's life )

 3) How should I dispose of old antifreeze.

"Check Local Laws"  For the most part, dumping it in a sanitary city sewer
system is the way to go.  They can handle this kind of stuff.  Dumping it on
the ground, in a storm sewer or in a septic system is a no no.

Some garages, oil change places, parts stores will take the stuff as a public
service.

Harold