Change to Yahoo ??? Blasphemy.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Change to Yahoo ??? Blasphemy.
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 19:36:41 +0100
In article <01C11B3F.07955000@l0.washdc3-cmb1.bbnplanet.net>, john
donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com> writes
>Hello Listers,
>
>First, I don't have anything to do with Yahoo, but .....

>While my 34 year old car may be old, I don't keep it that way. The core
>remains
>Triumph, but now it has urethane bushings, better tires, CD stereo, improved
>materials, better technologies all around. Why do we stay with an old message
>system?

Damn, and here was me thinking about taking a mailing list from Yahoo!
to Listquest (or MajorDomo)...

Actually, I wasn't, but there isn't a chance in hell that I would have
deliberately chosen Yahoo! Groups to run the mailing list I manage.   I
have ended up there because eGroups bought out OneList, and Yahoo!
bought out eGroups.   Topica seems to offer a slightly better service,
but nothing to rival the old OneList one.

Here are some of the other things you get with a Yahoo! Groups mailing
list:

Spam.   Lots of it.

Viruses.   Lots of them.   In the past week I have received 23 separate
e-mails containing viruses from members of a Yahoo! Groups list
(BritRegiments, as it happens).

Advertising.   Lots of it; inserted into the middle of every message
that goes to the list, once the traffic is high enough to make it worth
their while.

Yahoos (in the Swiftian sense).   Louts, loonies and losers who join the
group for the hell of it, and then post messages about unmissable
opportunities for making a million dollars by joining a chain letter, or
unmentionable pictures of naked teens getting intimate with a herd of
goats.

>I say this list is broke and needs fixed, or changed.

I say this list is fine, and doesn't need the dubious benefits of Yahoo!

ATB
--
Mike
Owner of Carly, a 1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500