Re: Funny Clunking Noise

To: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Funny Clunking Noise
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:58:36 -0600
"Freeman, Noah" wrote:

> Im going to have a look tonight...any thoughts on what I should look to
> first?  Loose shock linkages?

Let me know how this one goes, I haven't seen this yet but I'm sure I will. <g>

> Also- how do I get that damn carpeting to stay in place?  Adhesive?  Velcro?
> Snaps?  Hooks?  Where do I buy this stuff?

The "original" way is with snaps, you may have male snaps in the floorboard
already; then you get a female snap that fits in the carpet. The female snap is

two-piece bit you can likely find at auto upholstery shops or from the big
three.

The top is a circle with points facing down around the perimeter, you stick that
through the carpet and it slots into the bottom part, which has the female snap.

    Veltex Carpet Ring Assy, w/ snap Moss 228-128 $1.00

This is great cause you can easily pull the carpet out for cleaning or if
they're

wet. But old carpet (read "mine") will tear easily once you put in those snaps
and then drive it daily for a year, so I'm about at the point of putting in
velcro.
DO NOT glue them to the floor -- though you might glue sound deadening to
the bottom of the carpet -- since it's much better to be able to remove them.

Also in the foot well there should be a clip or two intended to hold them up
in the front, but mine pulls out from there as well. I suppose it's no surprise
that 40 year old carpet is a bit fragile.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO