Frame stiffening (was: TeriAnn's article)

To: TR list <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frame stiffening (was: TeriAnn's article)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:23:07 -0700
TeriAnn Wakeman wrote :

> Remember there are two sides to this go fast thing HP and weight.  You go
> faster if you shed weight and slower if you add weight.  The weight of
> boxing in a frame may negate a lot of engine speed mods.

That's true to some extent, but you can do a lot of frame stiffening, while
only adding 1% or so to the car's weight.  Plus, power/weight is mostly
important at low speeds (eg off the line), it's much less important at high
speeds (above 50 mph or so).  Weight has almost no impact on top speed.

Shameless plug : There's a good article on frame stiffening in :

Tech Talk #3 Performance Preparation

which is available from :

TRSC Regalia Sales
c/o Dick Ames
27301 Via Rioja
Mission Viejo, CA 92691

for a cost of about $15, postpaid.  Proceeds benefit the club (Triumph
Register of Southern California), which I'm a member of.

This volume also has the clutch fork modification, and the double thrust
washer modification for 6-cyl TRs (both of which I recommend even for
otherwise stock cars), plus lots of other little tips on performance.  It's
mostly oriented towards racing, but much of the advice is also applicable in
some form to cars driven only on the street.

Randall