Re: Age Related Discounts/Younger Owners

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Age Related Discounts/Younger Owners
From: "Patrick Bitton" <pbitton@axess.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 00:55:02 -0400
Well my story is that 12 years ago, I moved to Calgary, Alberta from
Montreal, Quebec.I lived there, about a year and a half. During that time I
bought my first TR-6. WOW!!! I loved that car soooo much. Driving to Banff,
top down. On a side road, I crossed paths with an older gentlemen drive a
very old jag. No top, no windshield. And the gentlemen waved. I thought to
myself. Cool. People that have old british cars wave to eachother. Anyway,
time to go back to Montreal. I drove the car back on a U-Haul trailer. Not a
dolley. My cousin who happens to be a mechanic. Told me that the car wasn't
worth fixing. The brake line snapped during the haul. Anyway, he said he
would do me a favor by selling it. I didn't have a garage to store it in.
And my work required me to travel alot. I sold it to him for $1750.00. I am
sure he made a HUGE profit. I loved that car . A about 9 years later. I
lived in Costa Rica for about 4 months. When I returned home. I got bit by
the bug again. I bought one from someone in British Columbia. I basically
got ripped off. Car didn't pass inspection. The only things I could salvage
was the drivetrain some gauges, nut, bolts. The tub was a real mess. Paper
stuffed in the frame. Newspaper under the carpet to hide the once existing
floor. That set me back $3100.00. Well, I couldn't give up. I needed a frame
and a tub. Where do I find that? I found a parts car at this local parts
dealer that had a 73 . Engine was gone(seized) tranny and diff were taken
out and so was the distributor. I didn't need those things. Now that cost me
$1500.00. After that, I found a fellow in Boston selling one for $250.00.
Wasn't long till I drove down to Boston and brought the car back. Now, I
don't live in a house. I live in a duplex in a very busy area. Garages a in
high demand. I was luck to get one in my duplex and a very small double
garage. I have 1 TR-6 in one garage, another one on the driveway and a new
one in the double garage. Garages were made thinking Mini's were going to
take over the world. Anyway, over the past 3 years I have been forking money
out on this car. And people don't seem to realize that when I tell them that
I invested over $15000.00 on this project(not finished). They say, "You're
not going to make your money back." Why? Was I planning on selling it? Do
you know something I don't know? This car is my first and definitely not my
last project. My brother has 2 BMW 2002. A very good friend of mine is
rebuilding a 2002 with brand new everything. Even a new engine. Not a
rebuild.

I am 35 year young. You would think I'm 26. Most people do. Right know I am
not to far from getting it on the road. I need a few VERY important thing to
get it insepected. 2 seat belts. And a few tid bits. I hope the list will
stay for as long as I keep my car. That will be to the grave. A good friend
inherited his late fathers' TR4A. But he never takes her out. Sits in the
garage.

All to say...Would yuo consider me too young to own a LBC?

Patrick Bitton