Re: TR3 V8 Conversion - response #8

To: tomomalley@meganet.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 Conversion - response #8
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:26:15 EDT
In a message dated 6/15/2001 5:32:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tomomalley@meganet.net writes:

> ISTR this topic raised years ago on the british-cars list.  The
> question came up because the MGBV8 conversions were fitted with
> upgraded brakes even though the vehicle weight went *down*.
>
> The consensus then was that the V8 version would almost certainly be
> braking from a higher average speeds and larger brakes would be
> beneficial.  If a TR6/6 and TR6/V8 were competing in an autocross I'd
> imagine the V8 brakes would need to scrub off more speed at each turn
> and the brakes would need to dissipate more heat.
>
> Perhaps I've got this all wrong but it sounded plausible at the time.
> :-)
>
> Still...gotta agree that if Dyno Dan can lay off the hot foot then
> there should be no issues.
>
> Cheers!
> Tom O'Malley
> P.S.  Geesh Dan, finish that thing, will ya!? <grin>

Tom,

You are correct. Braking can be divided into two factors - Safety and
performance.

Not being able to stop from a reasonable speed in a timely fashion is a
safety concern. Having to curtail your fun (or be less than competitive)
because the brakes fade is a performance concern. Sometimes, though, the line
between the two can be fairly fine.

If I weren't writing these stupid books, I could get it done <G> Oh well,
someday......soon, I hope.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm