Re: Metal thickness of frame

To: robc@cisco.com
Subject: Re: Metal thickness of frame
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:00:57 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rob,
        These frames were 14 GA steel.  Thin 14 GA.  I'm not a welder,
but the guy that did mine used .090 and .125 for plating the rusted
areas.
        When you clean and examine the frame, pay particular attention
to the swingarm mounts.  Also, the diff mounts, especially on the right
side.  The swingarm mounts simply disintegrate, and the diff mount
pins crack where they are welded to the upper crossmemenber.  It's a
good idea to box in the pin bracket for added strength in this weak
area.
        Repacement pieces are available, from The Roadster Factory
and from Autorust Technicians.  www.autorust.com.  NFI.
        As long as you have the car torn down this far, take the time to
do it right.
                Good Luck!
                        Rick
Re:
>Hi everyone,

In preparing for the arrival of my "new" frame to start my TR6 rebuild,
I'm going to pick up some plate steel to patch the rusty spots.  So,
does anyone know offhand what gauge/thickness of steel is used in a
TR6
frame?

I need to patch the underside of the frame where it swoops up behind the
rear wheels.  How wide a piece of steel will I need to patch this area?
I can measure this one myself tonight but may be able to run out to
Loucon Metal this aft if I have the measurements.