Brake Funkiness

To: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Subject: Brake Funkiness
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:16:11 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Freeman, Noah"
>Now I am hyper brake aware, and am noticing that the brakes feel great
when
i first put them on, but if I stop (brake pedal depressed), then put it in
neutral, take my foot off brake (car still stopped), the brake pedal does
not return (car stays stopped, brake pedal comes only a little way up).
Then, when I put the car in gear, accelare, (foot still off brake) the
pedal
rises to its normal position.  Before my "drive the car against the rear
brakes" episode I wasnt paying much attention, so I cant tell if this is a
new or old problem...
<

Noah, I would take the drums off, take the shoes off and check for free
operation of the sliding wheel cylinder.  The cylinder has one piston and
the body itself moves to actuate the other shoe.  The heat may have caused
whatever grease that might have been there to burn and no longer act as a
good lubricant.

That's what I would do.

Dave