VIR Homecoming - Weekend Driving Report

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: VIR Homecoming - Weekend Driving Report
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:53:52 -0700 (PDT)
Headed out on a fair sized journey this weekend.

Drove from Leesburg VA (northern tip. . .real close to both MD and WV)all the
way down to the NC border where Virginia International Raceway was having its
homecoming.  One way was around 280 miles.

If any of you all are cutting through VA, consider taking RT 15 or RT 29.
They are a nice compromise between the extremely scenic, but extremly slow and
length Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline drive   and the fast (and sometimes
congested) interstates.

RT 29 which goes through Charlottesville and Lynchburg was practically an
interstate between the big cities. . .  nice smooth divided highway.
Admittedly in the cities. . . there were a lot of traffic lights and some
congestion, but it was a small price to pay.  The stretches between the cities
were fairly scenic.

Also, the distance is shorter, the speed is a little slower, and you get much
better gas milage.  (not to mention the cheap gas prices to be found in Rural
VA.  I found premium at 1.55-1.65/gallon the whole trip.  Almost as good as
FT's Ammoco.

Finally, as for VIR's homecoming. .. that was TOO COOL!

I'm gonna have to go and camp out next year.

This year Carrol Shelby (who won the first race there in 1957) was the grand
marshal.  He brought a bunch of his "new cobras" and that other super car he
builds.  There was an all Cobra race around the 3.27mile road course.  WOW.
Famous VIR alumni like Bob Bondurant got out there and thrashed around those
cobras.  Being nearly 70 didn't slow him down.

Besides all the Shelby action going on, there was a lot of british car action
too.

Triumph was well represented.
TR3s,  Spitfires, Morgans (with TR engines)

George Wright took 3rd in his class in his super fast TR4.
The two cars that beat him weren't ever really street cars I don't think.  They
were uhh . .. a Ginneta?  and an Elva maybe?  Maybe it was a lotus 7.

I'll see if I can't post a picture on the web for those who are interested.

It was too much fun.
Go to those vintage races. . .they let you wall around the paddock and hang out
with the drivers.

Scott Tilton
Driving across VA
in a 1970 TR6