RE: Pulley Hub

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pulley Hub
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:00:29 -0700
Jim :

The big bolt in the center is the only thing that holds it on, no hidden
snags or anything.

Many years ago, I took the hub off of my TR3A by removing the bolt and
shims, then putting the bolt back in by just a few threads, and using a
steering wheel puller (the only puller I owned at the time) with the forcing
screw seated in the center of the big bolt.  ISTR the puller came with bolts
that were the correct thread to go into the fan hub, but if not, they should
be available at any hardware store.

Better than using the center bolt would probably be buying a length of 1/2"
rod (just a few $$$ at Home Depot) and cutting it to the correct length (a
little longer than the center bolt, overall) to use as a spacer.  Since the
center bolt is a 5/8", the 1/2" rod should slip through the threads and
press on the bottom of the hole in the crank, where it can't do any harm.
You might want to center drill the end of the rod, to keep the forcing screw
on center.

Yet another approach would be to get some stout bar and make your own
puller.  Home Depot sells some very heavy steel, roughly 3" by 1/4" as
"re-bar stakes" that would make a good cross piece.  Some 1/2" threaded rod
and some nuts to fit, and of course the bolts to go into the fan hub.
Instead of threading the cross bar, just put a nut on the threaded rod
between the crossbar and hub, and a 'double nut' on the outer end of the
threaded rod.  To force the hub off, turn the inner nut while holding the
double nut stationary (or vice versa).  Total parts cost should be under
$10.

Also, many auto parts stores will rent tools like pullers.  One local chain
(Kragen I believe) rents for free, but you have to leave a deposit of the
price of the tool.

If you do pry, be careful of the pulley.  It's only sheet metal, it bends
fairly easily, as does the timing cover behind it.

Randall