re:Weber DGV on a TR4?

To: "INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net" <owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:Weber DGV on a TR4?
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:49:17 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
>From: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
>Subject: Weber DGV on a TR4?
>
>Hello listfriends-
>
>>I am looking at a used Weber DGV Downdraft carb for my TR4.  While the
>seller does not have the correct manifold, he is offering the DGV at an
>attractive price.
>
>I am also going to be putting a 4:1 tubular header in (probably at the same
>time)
>
>Questions-
>- -Does anyone have experience with the DGV?  (it would be replacing a set of
>SUs)
>       How powerful are they?
>       How hard are they to keep up?
>
>- -Where could I get the correct manifold for the TR4?

Well, they sell these adapters to take the vertical draft and convert it to
horizontal.  They look like
the siphon on a toilet.  These bolt straight up to the stock manifold.

>- -Do TR4s take double or single DGVs?  my understanding is that the 4 bangers
>take 1, the 6 bangers take 2- is that correct?

I think the most common DGV style would be 32/36 DGV.  Probably you would use 2
of them.

>- -Anyone have valve/jet recomendations for DGVs?  Ive seen a ton of info on
>TR4 DCOE setups (thensk Teriann!) but is there any on DGVs?

Who knows.  It varies a lot on many factors.  You have to individualize to your
car, weather, temp, altitude, etc.

>Any thoughts would be helpful

My thoughts:  DGVs suck.  If you want webers, then use DCOE (horizontal).  The
real advantage of webers
is  supposed to be better flow at wide throttle.  It comes at the great
likelihood of poorer part-throttle
manageability.

As for TRs and air flow, Kas Kastner ran a car on Bonneville with a set of
weber dcoe and HS6 SU's.
Top speeds were within 1mph.  So much for better flow on a TR2-4 with a weber.

My TR7 has weber dgv's and I am going to SU's asap!

-Tony