Early TR4 electric question

To: "Gary Allgood" <leyte@lvs.net>
Subject: Early TR4 electric question
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:11:58 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Gary Allgood"
>On my TR4 CT3795LO on the driver side inner fender, there is bolted a
white
ballist resistor (or so my brother the mechanic call it). <snip>

It plugs between the coil and distributor as I recall (the car is 2 hours
away, I can't verify this till this weekend). The question is, was this
something a PO added for some reason? Or is it a replacement for a
different
type that I have not found in the parts books yet?
<

Gary,  Someone sometime installed a 6 volt coil (commonly found on later
model cars but not used on TR4's) which requires the ballast resistor.  If
you have replaced the coil with an original style 12 volt coil you can (and
should) bypass this resistor.  But either way it will run fine under most
circumstances.

Dave