Stromberg Emission Control Carbs (The Sods!!)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stromberg Emission Control Carbs (The Sods!!)
From: Dan John <johndj1_uk@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:59:21 +0100 (BST)
Hi

Having finally managed to get my GT6 convertible
started for the summer, I decided to address a problem
I had last year with misfiring.  I wanted to richen
the mixture which, according to Haynes, is no mean
feat with the Stromberg ECS Carbs.  I now have two
problems:
1.  All I did was take the temperature compensating
unit off, clean it up a bit and put it back in.  Now
the car will turn over but won't fire.  Thoughts?
2.  Still have my misfiring problem.  Again, two main
probs here.  Firstly when the car is left running
idle, after about ten mins she will start to stutter
and sometimes die.  Second when she is nicely warmed
up, I'll put my foot to the floor and she will
misfire.  If I keep my foot there she will eventually
catch up with herself and move, but as you can
imagine, this can be quite dangerous.  I've asked on
another discussion forum and the general consensus
seems to be the carbs.  I've checked the dashpots and
they are fine.  I'm a bit unwilling to pull them apart
because of their complexity.  Am I just being a
scaredy-cat?

All comments welcome.