Re: 1965 van den plas princess 4 liter

To: "Dennis N Culligan" <dncullig@us.ibm.com>, <Cometguy1965@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 1965 van den plas princess 4 liter
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 08:57:11 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
This is not a "Jag".  The Vanden Plas Princess 4 litre "R" was a very
upscale version of the Austin Princess, which was the "big brother"
(sister?) to the Austin A60 Cambridge.  I believe Wolsely made a version of
the Princess also, called the Wolseley 6/110.  Anyway, the VDP had a body
and interior by VDP (a very upmarket coach builder, back then) and the "R"
referred toi the fact that there was some Rolls Royce input into the engine.
I don't think it was an acutal Rolls engine, although I could be wrong on
this, but maybe they made the head or something.  Anyway, it was a nice car.
The family of a college friend of mine had one.  He would irritate his
father by calling it the "Princess", while his father insisted it was a
"Rolls!"