garage question and welder safety (gano!!)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: garage question and welder safety (gano!!)
From: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:07:54 -0600 (CST)
Ken I would never leave the list over a safety issue!!  Thanks for the
advice!!  This is what the list is for!!  I also have a new house with an
exposed basement in the rear.  I put in a shop and have some of the same
questions as Mr. Frank.  I do have cement floors and drywall walls.

I had been thinking of simply making a few very sturdy rolling tables or
stands that I could put body parts on and roll outside to weld on the patio.
This might be somewhat unhandy as I might sometimes want to weld during
inclement weather but also would rather be alive than dead......or worse
yet.....half dead!!!

I do not plan on getting an acetylene system......but do plan on a gas
welder which might need the argon or co or whatever.  If I did weld
inside......I would certainly keep flammable stuff out.....but I guess what
worries me most is sparks that might skitter away and begin something after
I leave.......maybe under a table or workbench ect.  maybe a sort of wet
cloth dam of some kind around the project to keep the sparks that skitter
across the floor in one place??

A bic lighter in a pocket exploded??  do you know how this happened??  was
it leaking? or how could this be set off??  I am new at welding and need all
the information I can get!!
thanks for all the advice and it is invaluable!!!
                Gary, Frances Nafziger
                Box 25
                Wellman, Iowa
                naffy@netins.net