TR3A commission number trivia

To: quirt@sk.sympatico.ca
Subject: TR3A commission number trivia
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:35:11 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Thanks Dave, you have solved a puzzle for me. I knew my car was a late 60,
but now I know it's Dec. for sure, as I have 2TS81417L.
To answer someone else's question, it looks much as though someone came
along with a stamp after the cars arrived and added the "2", as it's a bit
out of place and a slightly different font.
I heard somewhere that it represents the port of entry (Montreal in the
case of "2"). OTOH, mine is titled a as '62, so the theory that it
represents the year of sale still would hold.
Jim Wallace
Ottawa (but the car lived in London ON in around '70, FWIW)
===================================
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>

This stuff about the STC number reminds me of similar mods done to TR3A
commission numbers in Ontario (and perhaps in other provincces/states).
My December/60 TR3A has a '2' stamped immediately in front of the
commission number giving: 2TS 81140 L. A buddies TR3A (also from
December/60) also has this stamping giving 2TS 81541 L.
My December/59 TR3A has no such stamping and remains TS 63307 LO. I have
interpreted the '2' stamping to represent the year of original sale of
the car. This would fit with the stories of the many unsold TR3As
sitting around in '61 and '62.
Dave Q.