TR4/TR4A engine numbers and originality

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4/TR4A engine numbers and originality
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:16:38 +1100 FILETIME=[96F0D6D0:01C0AEBA]
Hi everyone,

I am interested in finding out what is the best way to check whether a TR4
(or TR4A) has the original engine for that particular car.

I understand that the commission number (and body number) do not have any
direct correlation to the engine number and that large differences between
such numbers are not unknown.

Is the engine number displayed anywhere else on these cars other than on the
block itself? If not, is contacting British Motor Heritage the only way to
get a confirmation of originality of the engine?

If the later is the only way it seems like a difficult and impractical way
of checking the originality of a potential purchase, not to mention a
potential waste of money as BMH would charge for the service.

Many thanks in advance,
Michael.