RE: TR4 or 4A

To: " PeterSchop@aol.com" <PeterSchop@aol.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 or 4A
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:40:19 -0500
Peter, by now you have certainly gotten some answers.  But I will fire-in my
remarks as well.

The 4A started in 65 with CTC 50000

The body numbers were fairly well correlated with the commission # (CT....), so
your BODY is from a mid-run
TR4.

The DIff should have some other number beginning with CT or BT

Check the number on the tranny.

The engine # of over CT50000 IS from a 4A, but probably predates the resumption
of SU carbs.

Does the car have the chrome dodads on the front fenders to make it a 4A (all
did), does it have IRS? (most did)?

It looks like this is a car which should rightfully be called a "parts car" in
that it was assembled from the best
parts available at the time of a major restoration.  Probably the engine and
transmission are the original
parts.

I'd expect a commission number listed on the title to be in the vicinity of CTC
58000

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
>After bringing the car home, I found that there was no VIN tag on the
>firewall. Only the body tag. The car had an electrical fire in the engine
>compartment and the VIN plate was destroyed. I checked the body number and
>found that it is 24422CT which means the car had to be  made in '63. I then
>checked the engine number and found that to be CT58007E. That would be from a
?'65 TR4A but it has SU carbs, not Strombergs. I then found the number 301603