TR6 starting problems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 starting problems
From: "The Barneck Family" <dougbee@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:09:02 -0700
I have a 74 TR6 that I am having starting problems with.  It is not a
problem with the engine firing up but a problem with getting the starter
to work.  What happens is I turn the key and some times the starter kicks
in and sometimes there is just silence.  I think my problem is in the
starter relay but I am not sure.  Sometimes if I hold the key in the start
position for 30 seconds or so, the starter will start working and
sometimes it won't.  Sometimes, wiggling the large brown wire on the
starter relay works and sometimes it doesn't.  I have tried cleaning all
of the contacts on the starter relay as well as the wire connectors that
plug onto the relay.  Nothing seems to cure the problem.  And for
clarification, it is not that the starter gears are not engaging.  When it
doesn't work, the starter is not turning at all.  Any ideas?

Douglas C. Barneck
74 TR6 18,000 original miles
71 TR6 mostly there
67 Austin Healey BJ8