Starting problems

To: "'sdaniels@gorge.net'" <sdaniels@gorge.net>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting problems
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:00:20 -0500
Steve:
Last spring and then in the fall on my 'New TR4'  I had a miss, then a
flooded rear carb- but eventually found a bad condensor. I wrote several
posts about the entire episode-should be in the archives by now!

Check that condensor- always carry a spare- check the lead connections at
the points for premature grounding to the distributor housing (before going
'through' the capacitator) for a short.
I've learned to always swap the condensor first before going to carbs or
coil. Cheaper and many times-the culprit- that (condensor) and a cracked
rotor.

 I know of several Jag, Jensen-Healey and TR owners who all had cracked
rotors last season. Why - all have  Lucas rotors, and these  are
'unidirectional'  - if the car should 'run-on'  especially in reverse
rotation - the rotors sometimes crack!

Sherman
(with serious1/4ly doses
of 'Lucas Disease' vaccinations)