Re: '69 Spit Convertible top

To: <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '69 Spit Convertible top
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:26:30 EST
In a message dated Thu, 15 Mar 2001  8:58:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
"Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net> writes:

<< I was wondering if the convertible top for the '70-'71 spitfire (with the
zippered window) will fit the '69 Spitfire (which doesn't come with a zippered
window)? >>

I *think* the short answer is YES, the 1970 Mk3 zipper-window top probably will
fit the earlier Mk3 top frame. Somewhere in the barn I've got '69, '70 and
circa '74 Spitfire top frames. They all are very similar, not surprising as the
cockpit area didn't change in the front/rear restyling. The only major change
between Mk3 and MkIV/1500 is in the shape of the doorglass; I think the header
rail and overall height of the windshield frame did NOT change (the glass is
larger on the newer cars as it goes "deeper" down towards the cowl than was
possible with the older bolt-on windshield surround).

The pre-1970 Mk3 top frame possibly lacks mostly some of the snap fasteners
that are found directly above the rear zip-out window; again I'm working from
memory here and can't be sure.

As to the "value" of a zip-out rear window? IMHO, incalculable!

--Andy Mace