Re: tranny & engine question - TR6 c .nf.ca>

To: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tranny & engine question - TR6 c .nf.ca>
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:24:39 -0600
90W140 is too heavy. I believe the factory manual specifies 90 weight gear
oil, but many people recommend using straight 30 weight engine oil
especially if you have an overdrive. I just switched to 30 weight at the
suggestion of our club's transmission guru and I'm looking forward to
faster overdrive engagement.

The most important thing is that you CANNOT USE REGULAR GL-5 GEAR OIL.
Although regular GL-5 supercedes the older GL-4 designation for most
applications, it contains an additive for limited slip differentials which
will eat the bronze thrust washers and synchronizer cups in your
transmission. You can still buy plain GL-4 at some PepBoys and NAPA stores.
If you can't find it locally a major Pennsylvania Triumph parts suppliers
sells it by the quart.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com