FW: can a gas tank float be salvaged?

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'spitfires'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: can a gas tank float be salvaged?
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:13:10 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Paige, Dean
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 9:12 AM
To: 'Douglas Frank'; Triumphs; spitfires
Subject: RE: can a gas tank float be salvaged?

What I found was that the plastic floats tend to develop a tiny hole at the
point where the very end of the metal rod which wraps around the float is in
contact with same. What I did to fix mine was leave it out in bright sun all
day untill the gas was vaporised and expelled through the hole as vapor.
Then I dipped the float into a two part clear fiberglass resin to coat the
whole thing. Reinstalled it on the metal rod and voilla 15 year later it
still functions.

Deano