Grade 8 bolts - thank you

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Grade 8 bolts - thank you
From: Dennis Lambert <DLambert@anaheim.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:00:30 -0800
All,

Once again the list has educated me.  Thanks to all (especially Michael
Porter, who wrote me a couple of nicely detailed emails) who responded to my
questions about the suitability for use of grade 8 bolts.  Everybody seemed
to contribute a little more  information with each response.  I now know a
lot more about bolt stretch (elongation), tensile strength, shear strength,
and metal fatigue than I did yesterday - information I can put to good use
as I select fasteners for my TR.  I also now know why it is a good idea
shotpeen certain parts.  I was also directed to a fastener link by several
listers that should provide good info:

http://www.fastenal.com

As to the answer for my question of using grade 8 bolts to fasten a
flywheel, grade 8 should be fine, but I think I am going to just reuse the
originals, if they pass the stretch test. (Two bucks for four grade 8 bolts
is not the determining factor here).

I've also found out - the hard way, naturally - that doing the steering box,
steering pins, and tie rod ends would have been _much_ easier when I had the
body off, but that's another story!

Thanks all,
Dennis Lambert