Float Settings for a Weber DGAV? (longish)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Spitfire-Enthusiast" <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>, "Nass" <nass@egroups.com>
Subject: Float Settings for a Weber DGAV? (longish)
From: "S Twigg" <seanan@crosslink.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 15:39:30 -0500
Everyone,
        I have a 1980 Spit with a Weber DGAV 32/36 attached.  I am having
problems
keeping the car running after adjusting the carb according to the Weber
factory directions.  It will idle fine but will cut out if I put any load on
the engine (i.e. move the car in reverse).  When I restart the engine it
usually runs for a few seconds and dies.  When I come out to work on it the
following day, the same saga begins.  There are no vacuum hoses attached to
the carb either.  I was thinking that the mix was too thin but the symptoms
did not change when I adjust the idle mix screw.  The exhaust is clear but a
bit splashy (this is why I thought the mix was too thin).  The jets all seem
to be the correct ones (I checked them against the info on Paul Teglers
site).  So the only thing I can think of is that the float level is off and
that I'm flooding the carb.  My problem is that I don't have a clue as to
what the proper float height should be.  The Haynes Weber manual doesn't
contain Spitfire data so I'm at a loss.
        If anyone has the data I would appreciate it.  Also, if you think my
trouble might be elsewhere I'm open to suggestions.

Slante,
Sean Twigg
'80 Spitfire