Rotor and Caps Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rotor and Caps Question
From: Don Clark <d@seanet.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:55:41 US/Pacific
Yesterday I was driving back from lunch in my 72 TR6 when it died. After
coasting to a parking lot and prodding around under the hood I determined that
I was getting spark from the coil, but none was going through distributor cap
to the spark plugs. The short story is that the rotor was bad, despite the fact
that it looked fine!

The rotor had been replaced about 6,000 miles ago, and was an "Intermotor" brand

My question is: Should I consider this a fluke and simply keep a spare cap and
rotor with me just in case, or should I look for another brand of cap and rotor?

One other thing, the car has a Crane 700 ignition. Could it be that somehow the
setting was off such that it was easier for the spark to go through the rotor
to the top of the distributor? I am pretty sure that I set up the ignition
correctly. When I installed it I 'timed' it by drilling a hole in an old cap
and used a timing light to make sure that the spark was firing while the
leading edge of the rotor was pointing the respective spark plug wire.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Don Clark
Seattle, WA